Saturday, 4 February 2017

SKINCARE STAPLES



Ever since I was a little girl I have always loved Winter. I love the cold sharpness my body is exposed to as I run out of bed in the morning to turn on the heating. I love the subtle smell of vanilla in the evening, as the candle flames flicker in the corners of every room. I, especially, love the buzz around all the festivities. My favourite memories have always been cast in the Winter, which is why I am reluctant to see it coming to an end for another year. However, I don't think I will be the first to say that come to the end of winter my skin is in a diabolical state. It's dry, flakey and to be totally honest it looks completely lifeless. Which is why it is time to step up my skincare routine.



A good skincare routine can take years to perfect. I've been through numerous face creams, gallons of toner and a whole load of money, and yet I have a long way to go before I really nail my skincare routine. Nevertheless, I have come a long way from my early teenage years which pretty much consisted of running one baby wipe across my forehead each night before waking up and reapplying my make-up over the remains of yesterdays. It is safe to say that throughout my skincare evolution I have found some really good staples which I would love to share with you guys. So sit back and relax whilst I take you on a journey of cleansers, toners and everything in between.



La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Cleansing Gel 200ml- £11- Buy here
First up is cleaner, in my opinion, one of the most important products in any skincare regime. I had only really heard of this brand last summer when I received a little sample of this cleanser in the post but since then I have never looked back. This cleanser works absolute wonders. It removes my make-up perfectly, as well as combatting any excess oils that I have, and believe me I have a lot. It leaves my skin feeling so clean and what's more, it smells incredible, it really is just a pleasure to use. 

To apply it I simply wet my face whilst it has makeup on, apply a blob of the cleanser and massage it into my face. The cleanser will start to foam and your makeup will simply melt off. Once this is done you can either splash your face with lukewarm water or you can get a damp face cloth and wipe everything away. You can also use it on cleansing brushes, which I tend to do if I want a deeper clean or if my skin is being a little problematic. I really cannot recommend this cleanser enough and its small price tag means you can enjoy high-end results on a low budget.




La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Lotion 200ml- £11- Buy here
In addition to the cleanser, I have also been using the Clarifying Lotion. I use this as a toner, so once I have cleansed my face I will put some of this on a cotton pad and wipe it across my face. I have only used this product for just over a month but I can honestly say it has made such a difference to my skin. It brightens and tightens my skin as well as helping with those pesky break-outs. Like the cleanser, it also helps combat excess oils, leaving my skin feeling cleansed and toned. I would recommend this to anyone with oily skin, however, the amount of alcohol present in this product is likely to cause a bit of irritation to those with dry skin, in which case I would go for a more oil based toner.



Aloe Pura Organic Aloe Vera Gel 200ml- £4.85- Buy here 
Peaches, my fiancee, is really into her skincare research at the minute and it's obviously working for her because her skin is looking better than ever. So the other week when P read an article on the benefits of aloe vera and ordered herself some, I couldn't help but follow suit. The benefits of Aloe vera are never ending but just to name a few-
  • It helps prevent wrinkles and tightens the skin
  • It soothes and revitalises skin
  • It's odourless
  • It easily absorbs into the skin
  • It works as a natural moisturiser, softening the skin without clogging pores
  • It great for those with acne prone skin as it works as a natural remedy
  • It reduces acne scarring, as well as redness and inflammation caused by acne
  • It restores dry and damaged skin
  • It can be applied to stretch marks, scars and skin irritations to reduce their appearance

This brand uses 100% organic aloe vera, with a selection of natural extracts. Therefore, there are no harsh chemicals in it that will irritate you skin, making this perfect for all skin types. I use this every night before moisturising, just after I have cleansed and toned my skin as I find that works best for me. I also keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cool when I apply it, this also preserves all its natural goodness. This product proves that sometimes it's not all about the brand name and fancy packaging, because this little treasure has really made such a difference to my skin. If I haven't already persuaded you, you can pick it up for under £5, making it perfect for all budgets. It also lasts forever, we've had it for a few weeks now and have barely made a dent in it. I cannot recommend introducing aloe vera into your skin care routine enough.

Care Witch Hazel 200ml- £2.59- Buy here
Another natural product which may not look pretty on your bathroom side is witch hazel. Despite its displeasing aesthetics, witch hazel is skincare gold. It has some amazing benefits. I feel like this is a staple which should be in everyone's bathroom cabinet. This little gem has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for acne, excess oils, dry skin and eczema, making it perfect for every skin type. You might be thinking that this is too good to be true, a product which reduces oils but that can also be used on dry skin, surely not but it's true. Witch hazel is a natural astringent so it decreases oils and bacteria growth, whilst balancing the skin's PH levels so rather than leaving you with dry skin it will ensure your skin has the correct amount of moisture. To apply it you simply put some on a cotton pad,  wipe it over your face, and your skin should instantly feel smoother and tighter. It is also advised that you use witch hazel just after showering because it will help seal in moisture. Typically, I run out a few days ago and haven't got round to purchasing some more so I couldn't take a picture of the one I use, however, I have linked it above. 

Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser 125ml- £4.19- Buy here
I cannot stress enough the importance of moisturising, I know too many girls who just don't do it. For me, moisturising is the key ingredient to any skincare regime, especially in those winter months. I remember when I was a little girl my Great Nana Eva always used to use Nivea face cream. Even at the age of 92 her skin felt marvellous, it was so soft and youthful. I remember always wishing to have skin like that when I was her age, so it goes without saying that my usual moisturiser is Nivea, which I so highly recommend. However, I was kindly gifted this Simple Moisturiser at Christmas and I have to say I think I may have found my runner up. I love this moisturiser so much, it makes my skin feel so soft, without it feeling heavy or greasy on my skin. 

Unfortunately, there's a myth surrounding moisturisers, that they will contribute to excess oils and as a result will cause acne and a build up of pores but that couldn't be further from the truth. Whether you have dry skin or oily skin, moisturiser is a must! There are so many benefits to moisturising including reduced signs of wrinkles, maintaining the elasticity in your skin but most importantly keeping your skin hydrated. Granted, certain moisturisers are better for different skin types. In terms of the two I have already mentioned, I would say that Nivea is much more suited to those with dry skin because it does offer such intense moisture. Whereas, the Simple moisturiser is great for those who have oily skin because it is very light. Either way, both are great options and prove that a good moisturiser doesn't have to break the bank. 


Nivea Essential Care Lip Balm 4.8g- £1.65- Buy here
My final two ingredients to a perfect skin care regime are totally optional but in my opinion necessary. The first is lip balm, I don't know why but recently I have gotten into the habit of applying lip balm before I go to sleep. I have found that it makes the world of difference in the morning, and can I just say there's nothing better than waking up with soft, supple lips. I am loving this Nivea lip balm at the minute, it has no thrills or fancy flavours but its everything you need in a lip balm. It's conditioning, leaving your lips feeling so moisturised. I also appreciate that it doesn't have an artificial strawberry-like smell to it as most lip balms do, instead, it has a real clean and spa-like scent. For a mere £1.65, there really is no reason for this product not to have a space on your bedside table. 

L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream 30ml- £8- Buy here
Last but not least is hand cream, I know what you're thinking who has time for hand cream. Well, this is only a recent addition to my skincare routine and I can already see what a difference it's making. I have never really suffered from dry skin until this past year, and when I do I only tend to get it on one hand (weird I know) but every so often my dry skin makes an appearance, so I decided it was time to find a good hand cream. After numerous fruity flavoured, sickly sweet greasy hand creams, I finally found the perfect one. I love any of the famous L'Occitane scents so I knew that an artificial smell wasn't going to be an issue. What I never expected, however, was the instant results I would see after using this. It makes my hands and cuticles feel so amazingly soft and moisturised. More importantly, it doesn't leave that greasy feeling behind which always puts me off hand creams, rather it soaks into your hands leaving them feeling marvellous. Admittedly, it is on the pricey side but a little bit really does go a long way and the price tag is completely justified given the results. 

So that's it my skincare staples, if you have enjoyed reading this post then please do let me know because I was gifted a huge No7 skincare bundle for Christmas which I would love to review for you if that's something you would want. Also, please do leave any skincare recommendations you have below because I am always on the hunt for some new products to try out. I'm also currently looking for a good eye cream to help get rid of my under eye bags and wrinkles so if you know of any such miracle products then help a girl out and leave your suggestions in the comments below. Thank you for reading, as always! 

Peace, Love & Unity,
Modebeautex

1 comment

  1. Hey, this was really good.. You are very talented and your style of writing is really enticing. Don’t give up!! Maybe you could head over to my blog and see what you think?

    www.milliesmoments.co.uk

    ReplyDelete